Today’s man is not naturally blessed with healthy, even toned and well rested looking skin. This is in fact achieved through a daily regime of cleansing, moisturising and toning in conjunction with sufficient sleep, frequent exercise, a healthy diet and at least 8 cups of water per day. And maybe in some cases having the number to a good plastic surgeon – however, this doesn’t seem to be working too well for Mickey Rourke.
In this helpful article you will find the 10 top tips to achieving healthy looking skin, which will not only have your skin looking healthy and revitalised but will also elevate your confidence to greater levels, and allow you to be more successful in all your exploits be it at work or play.
Tip 1 – Twice a day is all it takes
1. Wash – Remove dirt, grime and impurities by using a facial wash morning and night.
2. Tone – Toning is essential to improving your complexion (even tone) and will reduce pore size. *Tip: Try and avoid alcohol based toners as these may dry out your skin and leave you with an itchy or tight feeling.
3. Moisturise – Be sure to use a moisturiser that contains UV protection (at least an SPF 8), this will mean your skin is not only hydrated and nourished but also protected from exposure to the sun and premature aging. *Try: Nickel Moisturiser Light 75ml
Tip 2 – Try using a facial scrub
Facial scrubs are a great way to remove impurities and dirt build up, plus they rid your skin of dead cells – leaving you with a glowing and fresh appearance. Facial scrubs should only be used 2-3 times per week (in place of your facial wash) as they can be become quite harsh on the skin if used excessively and may cause unnecessary redness.
Tip 3 – Shave away that dull complexion
Shaving directly after (or during) your shower will ensure your hair follicles are fully open, meaning more of the bristle is exposed for a closer shave. Additionally, this will soften your bristles resulting in an effortless shave.
Tip 4 – Clay masks mean smooth, soft and supple skin
Facial masks are an incredibly easy and effective way to revitalise tired or dull looking skin. Used 2-3 times per week (or just before special occasions) clay masks will replenish lost nutrients and restore skin back to its former glory in only a few minutes. Apply a thin film evenly over the entire face and leave on for 20-30 mins (or until completely dry), then remove with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Your skin will now look and feel smooth, supple and soft. *Try: Nickel Exfoliating Mask 50ml #4
Tip 5 – Plenty of fluids is key
A vital constituent to a healthy and glowing complexion is drinking plenty of water throughout the day. With approximately 65% of the adult body being made up of water, this will facilitate the body’s natural processes and flush out any toxins and impurities. The recommend daily intake is 8 glasses of water, however you can mix this up with liquids containing a high percentage of water i.e. fruit juices and milk. *Tip: Coffee, although containing a high water percentage, is a diuretic and will have you visiting the bathroom (and losing liquids) more often than both your Grandparents combined.
Tip 6 – Reduce those smoke breaks
Tobacco smoke has an adverse effect on your skin tone (not to mention your health) as it contains toxins, harsh chemicals and free radicals which will leave it looking pasty, dull and tired looking. Cutting back on the number of smoke breaks each day will leave a noticeable change in your skin tone, colour and appearance.
Tip 7 – Quality vs. quantity when it comes to sleep
Sleep is an essential ingredient for not only feeling recharged each morning but also when it comes to your skin looking rested and healthy. 8-10 hours each night is the suggested amount of sleep required to fully recharge your “batteries”, however the quality and consistency of sleep are equally as important. So ensure you’re in bed early and often.
Tip 8 – Work up a sweat
Regular exercise will leave your skin with a radiant glow, this is due to the body’s chemicals (and endorphins) being released during physical activity. Just a few minutes of cardio/fitness 2-3 times per week is all takes to restore that radiantly healthy appearance. Be sure to wash and rinse your face and neck after excessive sweating as neglecting to do this may lead to spots.
Tip 9 – Sun burn is no fun at all
Your skin’s prolonged daily exposure to the sun will not only damage it, cause blemishes, but will also age your skin prematurely, leading to sun spots and wrinkles. To combat this, choose a daily facial moisturiser (and lip balm) containing at least an SPF 8 which will not only moisturise and nourish the skin, but also protect it from the sun’s harsh UV rays. *Try: Zirh Defend – Environment Defense Moisturiser.
Tip 10 – Eat your way to perfect skin
The following are a few foods renowned for their remarkable skin enhancing qualities:
1. Salmon / Sushi – contains essential omega-3 fatty acids, which aid complexion and healthy skin colour. Also being an extremely high source of protein which in turn facilitates muscle growth.
2. Green vegetables – Vegetables such as spinach, collard greens and kale are rich in Vitamin A, C, E and zinc. Vitamin E is essential for healthy, smooth and younger looking skin.
3. Nuts – containing essential oils responsible for a healthy looking appearance. Look after your heart and go unsalted where possible.
5. Green tea – Green tea has been shown to lower cholesterol, improve immune function and reduce the risk of specific types of cancer, as well as being rich in antioxidants.
Follow these tips to ensure you are always looking your best! Be it on a date with the cute waitress from the coffee shop around the corner, or at your company’s board meeting. If you are looking good, it’s going to mean you feel good and that will have you performing at your best.
The above list should give you a few new ideas whilst you’re next shopping for grooming, shaving or men’s skin care products. Visit www.mantality.co.za to view some of the aforementioned products, as well as browse our extensive catalogue of men’s skin care products.