Secret Victorian Tunnel & Dungeon Adventure | CPT
Secret Victorian Tunnel & Dungeon Adventure | CPT
Experience an Underground walk below the City of Cape Town. Parts of the canals and rivers date back to 1652, when they used to supply the Company Gardens and the passing ships with fresh water. Later these rivers flowing through the city became peasant walkways, shaded by oaks, with bridges going over them. Bring your own headlights and water shoes/gumboots to explore whats in the belly of the mother city and then pop in or out of a manhole on the manicured lawns of the Castle. Learn all about the fascinating history of the waters flowing below the city.
This 2 hour adventure is suitable for children seven years and older and children need to be accompanied by a guardian. The tour requires a measure of physical fitness and you need to be surefooted. We do not recommend the elderly and infirm to join a tour because certain parts of the tunnel can be slippery and have a number of obstacles and ladders to climb.
The early streets ran parallel and at right angles to the streams that flowed from the mountain to the sea. Later, these streams were formalized and directed into grachte. For example the Heerengracht (today Adderley Street), was the first principal street of the settlement, following the course of the Fresh River to the fort. It was threaded by a double streamlet, with tiny bridges crossing at intervals. It ran through the town centre and continued the axis of the Companys Garden linked by way of an old gateway, was lined with stooped townhouses of the burghers and at its foot was the wooden jetty. By 1767 the street had been widened into a fashionable promenade. It was described by a traveller in 1778 as “the most beautiful street or canal, bordered with oaks, along which are built the finest houses.” The grachte had become the dumping place for the towns rubbish. Thus, a systematic programme of arching over and enclosing the canals was initiated in 1838, directly changing the character of old Cape Town. At first a number of bridges were built over the canals and some canals paved.
Eventually the majority of the grachte had been replaced by brick sewers. By the end of the 1850s, the last stretch of the Heerengracht had been covered and the street, renamed Adderley Street. When the Bubonic Plague broke out in Cape Town in 1901, the last of the open water courses was closed, in District Six.
Location: Cape Town Central
Availability: Adventures depart based on a mimimum group size of 10 pax.
Who: The tour requires a measure of physical fitness and you need to be surefooted. We do not recommend the elderly and infirm to join a tour because certain parts of the tunnel can be slippery and have a number of obstacles and ladders to climb. Children age 7 and older are welcome.
Numbers: This experience is for one person and forms part of a group.
Weather: All adventures are water level dependent.
What to take: Dress sensibly, wear boots/water shoes and take a head torch.
Duration: Allow 2 hours for this adventure.
Participation is at your own risk.
This package includes a service fee and an e-voucher.
"Ships in ..." is the time frame in normal working days of when your order will be picked, packed and then handed over to the couriers for delivery. This is the same working day when ordered before 1pm. Once handed over to couriers, delivery times of ~ 1-3 working days apply. This is calculated during business hours/days and is from our acknowledged receipt of order payment - ie from when your order is updated to "processed" status. Joburg customers can also collect their order free of charge.
No posts found
- Worry-Free Guarantee! Delivery is 100% guaranteed, or your money back!
- Free delivery for orders over R499 going to major centres
- Delivery costs R69.95 for major centre areas and R100 for outlying areas
- Collections are available between 8am - 3:30pm from our JHB warehouse
- In stock items are shipped immediately when ordered (and paid for) before 1pm on business days
- Delivery via courier normally happens within 1-3 business days (but we aim for next working day)
- All orders will receive a tracking number sent via email
- Orders placed over the weekend and on holidays are processed and shipped out the next business day
- Areas outside of major centre areas usually take 3-5 business days
- Please note: high value orders (>R900) cannot be sent via Post Office due to theft risk
Your personal details are personal - and that's the way we'll keep it. Whether it be your email address, physical address or credit card information (which only our payment processor sees) we don't muck about, and we don't make these available to anyone else - that's a promise! You're our customer, so why would we share any such info. Credit card paymens will be processed securely by MyGate using 128 bit SSL encryption. Mygate are a Level 1 PCI Certified South Africa payment processor. That's hi-tech speak for the Fort Knox of internet privacy here in South Africa.
- Pay securely with your Visa/Mastercard credit cards, debit cards, PayPal or cash on collection
- Or pay securely via EFT or bank deposits. We bank with Nedbank and FNB for instan deposits
- Pay for orders with your reward points or gift vouchers. Remember to register to receive your reward points
- Subscribe to ManMail and follow us on facebook for exclusive discounts, offers and coupons to save even more
- Customer service is available during our business hours which are 8am - 4pm
- Contact us via phone (011) 462 5482 or email help [at] mantality.co.za
- Click the live help button at the bottom of our website when you're in hurry
- Return or exchange products within 14 days of receipt. Refunds or credits for returns are less any shipping costs incurred
- Any damages, product faults, errors or slip-ups will be handled swiftly and professionally - and all at our cost. (Although we try our darndest to ensure this doesn't happen!)
Our ethos and mantra is to become the #1 online destination for manly stuff and home to 1000s of the coolest products men really want. Shopping online should be fun, quick and easy - we're no exception to that. We're pretty fanatical about the products we sell and our customer service. We'll always do what we can to exceed your expectations when shopping with us.
- You can trust us. We’ve been delivering manly goodness since 2008.
- Customers just like you have posted 100s of positive reviews and testimonials and these are growing by the day
- We were ranked 3rd in SA for Best Customer Service at the 2014 eCommerce Awards | Finalist at the 2015 SA eCommerce Awards
- Immediate shipping for in stock items orders (and paid for) when placed before 1pm on a business day
- Earn 4% back in reward points with every order you place. You can then use those points for gifts or future orders - no strings!
- 1000s of the coolest products and gifts imported from all over the world, not found anywhere else in South Africa
- Helpful customer support available throughout business hours
- Order collections for our Johannesburg customers
- Pay for your order (with cash or card) when collecting
- Free delivery for orders over R499 (free to major cities only)
- Mobile friendly - view the website and place orders securely from any mobile device
- 65,000+ satisfied customers and growing fast. See their testimonials
- 100% original and constantly innovating. Always have been always will.