Tiger Moth Vintage Flight | Rand Airport
Tiger Moth Vintage Flight | Rand Airport
An adrenaline surge that is un-paralleled! Experience a scenic flight over Gauteng in a vintage WWII aircraft.
General Information & History
The deHavilland D.H. 82 Tiger Moth was developed from the D.H. 60M Gipsy Moth. First flown in October of 1931, the D.H. 82 faced stiff competition to become the basic trainer for Britainâs Royal Air Force (RAF). However, after the trials were held, the Tiger Moth emerged the clear winner, with 35 of the craft being ordered. Given that the Tiger Moth had not been the easiest to fly among the competitors, with a degree of sloppiness and slowness in response to control inputs, one wonders whether the design succeeded despite or because of those factors. Some have argued that those factors highlight poor piloting technique without seriously endangering the student pilot, a process that would enable instructors to identify and correct the fledgling pilot's deficiencies early in a training program.
In any case, the Tiger Moth to this day exhibits the same flight characteristics of its early period. The first model, the D.H.82, was powered by a 120hp Gipsy III inverted inline engine, and was also sold to the air forces of Brazil, Denmark, Persia, Portugal and Sweden. An improved model, the D.H. 82A Tiger Moth II, was equipped with a Gipsy Major engine rated at 130hp, as well as structural changes that included the replacement of fabric with plywood for the rear fuselage decking, and the ability to shroud the rear cockpit for instrument flight training.
Prior to the outbreak of WWII, Tiger Moths were manufactured by deHavilland Aircraft of Canada, and under license in Norway, Portugal and Sweden. During the war, Tiger Moths were manufactured by deHavilland affiliates in Australia and New Zealand, while a winterized version, the D.H.82C was manufactured in Canada, with a 145hp Gipsy Major engine, revised cowling, enclosed, heated cockpits, wheel brakes and a tail wheel instead of a skid. Another interesting variant was the four-seat Thruxton Jackaroo, with two pairs of side-by-side seats in an enclosed cabin.
More than 8,700 Tiger Moths were eventually manufactured, with approximately 4,200 going to the Royal Air Force, where it trained thousands of pilots for World War II service, and continued to serve the post-war RAF until 1951. Now, long after its retirement from active service, the Tiger Moth is still actively delighting aircraft devotees in the UK, Canada, Australia and the US. Not very long ago, as D.H. 82 time is measured, one United States aviation magazine featured two articles, one about the Tiger Moth and its worldwide clubs, the other about an 80% scale reproduction version of the Tiger Moth in one issue. Whatever magic there is in having the wind whip by one's ears in an open cockpit, the deHavilland D.H. 82 Tiger Moth must have it in abundance, if one judges by the many aviation clubs around the world still dedicated to the aircraft.
Location | Rand Airport, Johannesburg Availability | Flights are available throughout the year, book early to avoid disappointment. Who | The maximum weight limit is 110 kgs. Numbers | This flight is for one person only. Weather | All flights are weather dependent. What to take | Please dress warmly for the flight. Remember to take your camera to capture special memories. Duration | This flight lasts for 30 minutes (subject to air traffic control). Additional Information | Participation is entirely at your own risk.
"Ships in ..." is the time frame in normal working days of when your order will be picked, packed and then handed over to the couriers for delivery. This is the same working day when ordered before 1pm. Once handed over to couriers, delivery times of ~ 1-3 working days apply. This is calculated during business hours/days and is from our acknowledged receipt of order payment - ie from when your order is updated to "processed" status. Joburg customers can also collect their order free of charge.
- Air, Sky & Aeroplane
No posts found
- Worry-Free Guarantee! Delivery is 100% guaranteed, or your money back!
- Free delivery for orders over R499 going to major centres
- Delivery costs R69.95 for major centre areas and R100 for outlying areas
- Collections are available between 8am - 3:30pm from our JHB warehouse
- In stock items are shipped immediately when ordered (and paid for) before 1pm on business days
- Delivery via courier normally happens within 1-3 business days (but we aim for next working day)
- All orders will receive a tracking number sent via email
- Orders placed over the weekend and on holidays are processed and shipped out the next business day
- Areas outside of major centre areas usually take 3-5 business days
- Please note: high value orders (>R900) cannot be sent via Post Office due to theft risk
Your personal details are personal - and that's the way we'll keep it. Whether it be your email address, physical address or credit card information (which only our payment processor sees) we don't muck about, and we don't make these available to anyone else - that's a promise! You're our customer, so why would we share any such info. Credit card paymens will be processed securely by MyGate using 128 bit SSL encryption. Mygate are a Level 1 PCI Certified South Africa payment processor. That's hi-tech speak for the Fort Knox of internet privacy here in South Africa.
- Pay securely with your Visa/Mastercard credit cards, debit cards, PayPal or cash on collection
- Or pay securely via EFT or bank deposits. We bank with Nedbank and FNB for instan deposits
- Pay for orders with your reward points or gift vouchers. Remember to register to receive your reward points
- Subscribe to ManMail and follow us on facebook for exclusive discounts, offers and coupons to save even more
- Customer service is available during our business hours which are 8am - 4pm
- Contact us via phone (011) 462 5482 or email help [at] mantality.co.za
- Click the live help button at the bottom of our website when you're in hurry
- Return or exchange products within 14 days of receipt. Refunds or credits for returns are less any shipping costs incurred
- Any damages, product faults, errors or slip-ups will be handled swiftly and professionally - and all at our cost. (Although we try our darndest to ensure this doesn't happen!)
Our ethos and mantra is to become the #1 online destination for manly stuff and home to 1000s of the coolest products men really want. Shopping online should be fun, quick and easy - we're no exception to that. We're pretty fanatical about the products we sell and our customer service. We'll always do what we can to exceed your expectations when shopping with us.
- You can trust us. We’ve been delivering manly goodness since 2008.
- Customers just like you have posted 100s of positive reviews and testimonials and these are growing by the day
- We were ranked 3rd in SA for Best Customer Service at the 2014 eCommerce Awards | Finalist at the 2015 SA eCommerce Awards
- Immediate shipping for in stock items orders (and paid for) when placed before 1pm on a business day
- Earn 4% back in reward points with every order you place. You can then use those points for gifts or future orders - no strings!
- 1000s of the coolest products and gifts imported from all over the world, not found anywhere else in South Africa
- Helpful customer support available throughout business hours
- Order collections for our Johannesburg customers
- Pay for your order (with cash or card) when collecting
- Free delivery for orders over R499 (free to major cities only)
- Mobile friendly - view the website and place orders securely from any mobile device
- 65,000+ satisfied customers and growing fast. See their testimonials
- 100% original and constantly innovating. Always have been always will.